Saturday, December 30, 2023

Song(s) of the Day # 3,605 Noname

 

Hey Hold the Front Page! I've finally found my favourite R& B / Hip Hop / Rap whatever you call it for this year. Oh I guess that ship has already sailed!

Well never mind.Noname's Sundial covers a lot of ground in just over half an hour. That's all I ask of a good record in this genre and have done since De La Soul first arrived and shook me up properly back in the late Eighties.

This is Noname's first album for five years and she's in indecent haste to make up for lost time here. I don't claim to be an authority on the streets this walks, I'm more in my neighbourhood with Wedding Present records but I enjoyed this more than most Wedding Present records lve heard for a while.

This is sparky, bright and bouncy and never once stands on a spot. Each track goes in multuple directions like the best Hip Hop and never goes for easy options, I reckon it's a keeper. It grows with every play. Sometimes these things take time and effort and return your investment with interest. Such is certainly the case here.

If you want more detail I direct you to the Pitchfork review of the record or, oh I don't know, Hip Hop Monthly ? Down on the Corner ? As i said I'm no expert  here but I know what I like and I like this a great deal. Ir's a superb album. 

No comments:

Post a Comment