Friday, December 22, 2023

Song(s) of the Day # 3,597 Smote

 


Hey. A new day. A new discovery. And they're from my hometown too, Newcastle's Smote, and Genog their album from earlier this year arrives late at my doorstep in 2023, just as I'm putting my charts to bed. I 'm finding them instantly, very, very much to my liking.

First track, also called Genog, is ten minutes long, gargantuan and might be considered a declaration of intent, Not much actually happens perhaps  but manages to do so in an incredibly intense, impressive way. .At an incredible scale,  It's instrumental essentually but lbnyrinthine in the line of Can and Led Zeppelin tracks of  the greatest stealth and ambition.Think Oh Yeah. Kashmir even. Trust me.

As second track Hlaf kicks in with similar purpose and scope, your realise this bunch are very much the real deal. Everything proceeds in magnificent fashion from here.  The record is approximately forty five minutes, and demostrates bucketloads of  guile, and the kind of grandiose reach not seen since the early Seventies when Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson was hopping up and down like a deranged monk on stages up and down the land. All much to the alarm and dismay of concert goers who hadn't been warned in advanced and parents who should have inssited their offspring didn't stray from the family hearth to witness such disturbung behavuiour. 

By this point I realise that I need to see Smote as soon as I can.You should too. You heard it here first. Quite possibly the greatest gift to cave dwelling Dungeons & Dragons types since they last read The Hobbit. I do not exagerrate. The record is approximately forty five minutes Smote and Genoy are there for you to discover, unwrap and appreciate. It won't be long before they're much, much more widely appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment