Friday, December 22, 2023

Albums of the Year # 4 Paul Simon - Seven Psalms

 



A record I've been playing on and off over the last few weeks since just after its release. A thirty three minute record that sounds more like Paul Simon's last will and testimony with every play.

Simon is 81 now. Every artist at such and advanced age is entitled to think, 'this might be be the last one' on putting am album out at this point.

Simon's latest Seven Psalms is an unusual record To all intents and purposes it seems to be his attempt to reconcile himself with his god, with mortality.

Given such weighty concerns it's a very approachable record. The man's long been a master of melody and lyricism. What he's actually saying is something of an enigma to untangle. I won't even attempt to do so here. It seems an almost intrusive thing to listen to. Like overhearing someone at their confession.

Every time I listen to it I enjoy the experience anyhow. And it's a journey I'll take a fair few more times before 2023 runs its course. It's a bold and daring record. I imagine he's very proud of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment