Saturday, August 3, 2024

Song(s) of the Day # 3,815 Arooj Aftab

Sometimes it takes me a while. To make my way from my home ground. Indie bands with fringes and acne an lots of Penguin Classics making their way through The Velvet Underground songbook. Anyway, I know what I like and there'll be more of that stuff coming up for sure.

But not today. I've finally made my way to listening to an Arooj Aftab album in its entirity. Just call me Mr Adventurous. It's hardly adventurous at all really. Arooj's latest record Night Reign, is highly accessible on every level .

I wrote a couple more paragraphs about this album yesterday and for some reason they were deleted. This was not the worse thing in the world as it gave me the opportunity to listen to the album again in the early hours just now. So I drew the curtains, letting in the early morning light, and let it play.

It's music that washes all over you and soothes your soul. Mindfullnes music. Arooj plays a harp. Sometimes it's the only instrument that caprures a certain spiritual longing, This is Folk music to my ears, though it veers tiwards Jazz too.  Wikipedia has a long list of alternative labels if that's what you're after, including bizarrely Indie Pop. Night Reign is highly accessible as I said. It never struck me as Indie Pop.


If you can't sleep I can't imagine there are many better records ti listen to. It will still your fears. After a while, I went back to bed. It had done its job admirably.  

No comments:

Post a Comment