Friday, August 30, 2024

500 Greatest Albums of the 1980s ... Ranked! # 266 The Waterboys Fisherman's Blues

 

The Waterboys played my university in my first year there. I didn't go but by all accounts that was a mistake on my part, Thise who went, a small contigent at my students accomodation halls never stopped going on about it every time you saw them. The band had apparently played any number of rapturously received encores and the evening came to take on a legendary status.

This album came a couple of years later and did well critically and commercially. Mike Scott Waterboys leader's vision was going largely against the grain of the times, (Kevin Rowland was a fellow traveller) Folk Music did not seem like a cool thing in the Eighties. Things have changed and quite right too. The album is a dizzy, poetic, dreaming reel !



No comments:

Post a Comment