Saturday, August 24, 2024

Song(s) of the Day # 3,836 Lilacs & Champagne

 


Starbuck is back. And not a moment too soon. Another post a few days back from Darren Jones, (AKA Starbuck) first mate of this Blog, pointed me into the orbit of new quarry just in time for Friday's breakfast.

Today we feast on Fantasy World by Lilacs & Champagne, a side project of Portland, Oregon experimentalists Grauls. This is a very modern sounding record though these kind of things have been being made for thirty years at least now so the expression 'Brand new - You're Retro comes to mind.



We're talking DJ Shadow and Avalanches territory. Sample heav sounding, shifting instrumentals to a film which may have been dreamed up, but not necessarily made yet. All highly atmospheric. With a slightly creepy dystopic record cover to boeat. Keep them coming Darren !

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Bruce! Yes, I was rather taken with this. Keep coming back to it over the last few weeks. Glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great. Because I post daily I find I have to keep ploughing foorward. It's not a bad philospophy for life really. Keep the suggestions coming. I'm always grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the same, without posting anything... can't figure it out! Recommended the Friko album to someone the other day and couldn't remember much about it at all, except I liked it at the time. Oh well! I've been listening to the new Fake Fruits album recently. Think you've done them already. Also like the new Head Portals album. Give it more than one track and it goes more slacker/slowcore 90s. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was reviewed today. You're a star.

    ReplyDelete