Wednesday, August 28, 2024

Song(s) of the Day # 3,840 The Secret Beach

 

The Secret Beach are a modern /retro collective led by Micah Erenberg a maverick hipster who reminds me of Sufjan, Beck, Wayne Coyne and Tiny Tim by turns. A neat trick.

Their latest album We Were Born Here, What's Your Excuse is a fabulous album that has been growing on me like fur with every new play over the last few days.In thrall to the late Sixties Woodstock ethos but deeply 2024 at one and the same time. I guess that's the Internet and modern living for you. Everything is accessible.

Erenberg has previous. I listened to one of his solo albums a few years back and posted it on here. Almost saw him at a cool venue in Newcastle where I live around about lockdown but didn't for reasons I've forgotten. He's a name to keep an eye on clearly because he drips offbeat class. 

We Were Born Here, What's Your Excuse takes its name from a Simpson episide. About a nowhere town in Winnepeg and what it must be like to live there. This record doesn't actual make that seem to be such an awful thing. There's a world of wonder here.   

No comments:

Post a Comment