Monday, September 12, 2022

20th Century Boy: Notebooks of the Seventies: Duncan Hannah # 2 Jefferson Airplane

 


' I think back to the private school boys' school I went to. They tried to break me. Those bastards. They whacked me with oak boardsand gave me noogies. My homosexual Latin teacher twisted my ear around because my conjugation lacked something. I had lead ashtrays pitched at my head. I was shoved into a gym locker and hammered upon. I came onto mescaline in French class. I wrote hundreds of sentences beginning with 'I will not...' I wheezed during soccer practice. It was crushing me. Now I'm free. Adrift in a huge public high school where little was demanded of me.

Duncan starts the Seventies, which is what this book is truly most concerned with, at a Jefferson Airplane concent. He gorges in drugs, loses his cherry. Makes early forays to be in New York, Lists the music, films and culture he devours. Not necessarily likeable but admirable. Desirous of life. 



No comments:

Post a Comment