Sunday, September 18, 2022

No Age - People Helping People

 

I've been impressed by LA based duo No Age previously. A band in thrall to New Wave, No Wave and Post Punk, they've been putting out records for the best part of twenty years and show no signs of stopping just yet.  People Helping People is their latest and it's a really interesting listen.

Alternating between edgy, Punky missives from the outer reaches that tip their hats to Pere Ubu, Richard Hell & The Voidoids, Suicide and Swell Maps. Then weird, mostly instrumental pieces, slabs of static urban space, like a soundtrack in an edgy bar that makes you wonder whether you should stay in this particular place much longer, though you still want to hear what they're going to play next.


Anyhow. I like it. A lot. It focuses on dark, jittery atmosphere and generates plenty. It reminds me of why I want to go to Manhattan again as soon as possible. It's all set to elbow charge, some unfortunate record, that I probably haven't listened to since February off my Albums of the Year rundown. Sorry, but with a record like this it has to be done.


No comments:

Post a Comment