Sunday, September 18, 2022

Song(s) of the Day # 3,154 Death Cab For Cutie

 

There is a dead period in Rock history which I can never truly appreciate even now. It's that time after The Strokes and White Stripes made their initial statements and hipsters and aspiring artists made the move on masse to Brooklyn, given that Manhattan had spiraled beyond affordability of all except those with the most lavish trust funds.

I'd stopped listening to contemporary music during this period. Therefore I was completely unaware of the emergence of three bands who seemed to soundtrack this process more than any others. The National, Modest Mouse and Death Cab For Cuties. In some way they come across to me as American equivalent of Radiohead. Mapping the post millennial nine to five condition.

As a result of not listening to these three's key early records, I've always struggled to make a connection to their later stuff. Take Death Cab For Cutie's latest album Asphalt Meadows. 

I gave it a couple of listens this morning. While I appreciated that it might resonate greatly with those who connected with the band first time round, little r with me. Like much of The National and Modest Mouse's work, little connected with me. That's music for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment