Tuesday, September 27, 2022

Albums of the Year # 89 Weird Nightmare - Weird Nightmare

 


 

Side project for METZ leader Alex Edkins, it seems de rigeur for everyone in leftfield bands to have a couple of these going these days. Weird Nightmare's debut is a true blast of fresh air.

Though I like METZ, thery're a bit relentless for me. This is much more to my taste. Sheets of guitar layer sweet pop pills the way JAMC, Nirvana, Husker Du and Mission of Burma used to do it  back in the day.

There's plenty to enjoy here and plenty of reminders of Pop's more outre guitar past,.stand out track Luistania takes remarkable liberties with The Who's The Kids are Alright,but I'm not complaining.

Edkins has enough nous and love for what he's doing to vary the volume and intensity of attack, and turn down the speed and give things the light and shade you'd expect from an outstanding album. That's just what this is. I was really thrilled. 

No comments:

Post a Comment