Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Albums of the Year # 88 Tess Parks - And Those Who Were Seen Dancing

 


 

Tess Parks has been around for a while and she's always had Alan McGee's firm seal of approval right from the off. No wonder really. New album And Those Who Were Seen Dancing will immediately remind you of things that might you remind you of him.

The Sixties firstly. Tess comes across as a slightly underfed IT girl. A groovy chick, Penelope Tree, Twiggy. Jean Shrimpton. That type. Wearing a cool monochromatic outfit in a cool London night club and about to be photographed by David Bailey. You catch my drift?

Then Creation Records. First track Wow sounds pretty much like the Primal's Loaded with Hope Sandoval droning over it. This is a pretty identikit record really, but those who dig its reference points will surely dig this too. Excuse my 'Hippy' speak.

I certainly dig its reference points. For those who like to pretend they're back in the Nineties, pretending they were back in the Sixties. A record that certainly does what it says on the tin.

Perhaps I'm being slightly flippant and unkind. It's a high listenable album that I'll put on my list of 2022 favourites. In the lower reaches perhaps but I can certainly endorse it.

No comments:

Post a Comment