Monday, August 5, 2024

Song(s) of the Day # 3,817 WHY ?

 


'For nearly three decades WHY ? have thrived on subverting ecpectations. Across seven unpredictable and adventurous studio albums, the band led by Cincinnati songwriter Yoni Wolf has stretched the fringes of psychedelic pop, hip hop and electronic music.' WHY ? Spotify Bio.

I've never heard WHY ? before listening to their latest album The Well I Fell Into early on Saturday morning. During my lonesome listening party I saw what the self appraisal above is getting at. Though I dudn't find it remotely psychedelic. 

The album shifts from self pitying mournful Imdie Eyooreisms to more outlandish Hip Hop tinged Eeyorisms. If WHY ? were a Pooh Bear character, it's clear which Pooh character they would be.


The record is a good listen. If you don't mind the company of overly self absorbed types. We all have a tendency to self- absorbtion. Sometimes I think Wolf could mind his language rather. 

Occasionally The Well I Fell Into - (which I think is a well of navel gazing largely), strains for the infinite and employs Gregorian chanting,  with mixed results.  This is a seven for me pushing onto 8 in Pitchfork world,  

No comments:

Post a Comment