Wednesday, July 10, 2024

Song(s) of the Day # 3,791 glass egg

 

Seattle misfits Emilia Glaser and Julia Stefanzick come together and make a haunting, ethereal noise on debut glass egg album in case i forget you.

The first connection I made upon hearing Glaser's voice was with Thom Yorke and particularly the sensation of hearing him sing, inevitably on Freak still a fascinating out there moment of alienation, regardless of how often you've heard it or how sick Radiohead themselves came to be of it over the years.

Stefanzick lays down a briliantine layered  set of synth textures for Glaser to weave in and out of. The effect is astonishing frankly. An enchanted and enchanting record. It has a shifting surface that glitters in the way records from 1972 and 1982 did. Watch them rise. 

4 comments:

  1. Thanks, Bruce, that was great! Another fine find. Spotify has randomly pointed me to the latest 'great area' record. Another lowercase artist with an early 80s synth vibe. Not sure whether 7 tracks in 16 minutes constitutes an album or an EP, but I rather like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lowercase thing I get the impression is a gender statement . I'm not sure it qualifies as an album either. Though the tracks are lengthy. It's excellent stuff anyhow. Otherworldly.

      Delete
  2. I hadn't really thought of that, but you might be right. There was a trend for ALL CAPS a while back, too, and a thing on social media to write in all lowercase (often with no punctuation). I'm sure it's an identity thing.

    I was referring to the album/EP by great area, which is 7 tracks in 16 minutes. I guess mini album would cover it! Worth checking out, too. I do like glass egg, though.

    ReplyDelete