Thursday, July 18, 2024

500 Greatest Albums of the 1980s ... Ranked! # 308 U2 War

 

'To claim the prize that Jesus won...' 

I made the mistake of buying this record. I had liked some of U2's earlier songs and wondered whether they were a band to hoist my alleguance to. I soon decided they werem't. with the execption of New Years Day which I liked at the time and still don't mind War sounds garish and vulgar. One tubthumping anthem after nother.  A self conscious bid for stadium largesse. 

Steve Lillywhite productuibns. The drums are the albums lead instruments. Bono is mounting the speakers and projectung to the back rows. I find it empty and barren. Callow and devoid of poetic spark or  inspiration. To say they're trying too hrd is puttung it hugely lightly. No band has ever tried so hard. Thousands went for it in the mid West and were slain by their empty bellicose wailing.. America fell for them. Mugs. It's one of the most lyrically and sonically manipulative records ever made. The band put in the necessary roadwork. I lost interest,



No comments:

Post a Comment