Monday, July 29, 2024

Song(s) of the Day # 3,810 Robber Robber

 

Backwards drumming. I've always been a sucker for backwards drumming. I'm not a musician in case you cannot guess but that's how I'd describe some of the playing of two of my favourite drummers; Billy Ficca of Television and Jaki Liebezeit of Can. Uncanny and remarkable, But frequently appearing to drum backwards.

Backwards drumming was one of the main things that drew me immediately into the orbit of Intro (Letter From The Other Sue Of The Operation) the first track from Wild Guess by Robber Robber, a duo from Burlington, Vermont with clear and intense Punk intent. 

'All movement, - and consequently a lot of art - is a product of tension and release.' So says the band's Bandcamp bio. Ir's an interesting open gambit. And Wild Guess meets and surpasses the band's premise. 

This reminds me in turns of Television, Pixies, Breeders, Throwing Muses, Sleater Kinney and Wire. The good stuff. Urgent, uptight and fierce. Ferocious. Barely caged. A good way to start the working week and no mistake. Grr! Go get 'em tigers.  

2 comments:

  1. Another great one, Bruce! Saw it mentioned a few times over the weekend and gave it a listen yesterday. Exactly my bag!

    ReplyDelete