Thursday, July 18, 2024

Travis - LA Times

 

I always liked Travis. Essentially I think because lead singer Fran Healy was an introvert. That's how I see myself. You can sense it in his songwriting. He's an unusual one. In an industry of exteoverts and showboaters he and his band fly the flag for those that prefer to look within.

LA Times is their tenth album. It's not too different from their first three albums in texture and shape . The one they made their reputation on and established their craft. There's is a simple formula. Belle & Sebastian with the quirks ironed out and an eye on the charts,

The somgs are crafted and unfurl at their own assured pace. They're everyman anthems for the quiet thinker in front of the stage. The album is as good as their early recirds but will get less attention because that's the way the Pop World is. It's off elsehwere in search of the new.

But Healy and his bandmates Andy Dunlop, Dougie Payne and Neil Primeose are skilled artisans. I've been appreciating it a lot over the past few days and thinking about where I've been in the trwenty five years since The Man Who came out.

It was 1999 and I was off to Catania, Italy. It was a wonderful year in my life and I listened to The Man Who a lot while I was there. Teaching in a Language School. Living with Sicilian students. Writing my crap, unneeded novel.

I've recently rediscovered it and I'm preparing myself to head back to Catania at the end of September where I'll celbrate my 59th birthday and hook up with old friends again. I imagine I'll listen to LA Times while I'm there. Like The Man Who it strikes me as a grower. It's worth staying with. One of its closing tracks Naked In New York goes straight into their canon. There's plenty else here for anyone else who has ever cared for the band. 

No comments:

Post a Comment