Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Song of the Day # 66 - Derek & the Dominos

 
Now here's a thing. This blog helps me find things I never knew existed. Like my favourite Eric Clapton song. Clapton was vying  with George Harrison in the early Seventies for who could write the most songs about Patty Boyd.
 
'Bell bottom blues, you made me cry
I don't wanna lose this feelin'
And if I could choose a place to die
It would be in your arms.'

That's sincere if perhaps lacking in a bit of self esteem but such is desire.

                               'Do you wanna see me crawl across the floor to you?'

Being a Domino was not necessarily the best thing to be. Duane Allman (who didn't play on this), was crushed to death by his Harley Davidson in a road accident at the age of 24. Drummer Jim Gordon, developed schizophrenic tendencies and murdered his mother. Bassist Karl Radle died in 1980 from alcohol and narcotic related complications. Clapton himself had well documented woes. Plus the album got poor reviews and didn't sell. This song reached # 91 in the Billboard American Chart in 1971. It deserved much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment