Thursday, July 29, 2021

Song(s) of the Day # 2,741 Golden Apples

 


Coming out of Philadelphia, Pensylvannia, Golden Apples latest, Shadowland, is a very fine thing indeed. Immediately 'indie' in terms of it's sensibilities, (whatever that means entirely these days) it's never obvious in terms of its sound. You can't immediately place it as Felt or Stereolab, or Pavement or Wire or the standard referential touchstones for these kind of guitar  driven records.

Russell Edling is the man behind this. Golden Apples is a new moniker for him apparently, he previously went under the banner of Cherry. All this means little to me, I think this is the first time I've come across his work 


It's a record that takes a slightly blurred focus. Like all the best leftfield records, you're not given a script. 'T's are not crossed and 'I's not dotted. Imperfections which make the record more fascinating and tempt you back for another listen.

I'm grateful to Darren Jones, regular supporter of this blog, who constantly encourages me to listen to records I might not otherwise come across. Golden Apples and Shadowland is second only to Dark Tea, something he directed me to earlier on in the year. 

Both splendid examples of the American underground and how it can still come up with fascinating stuff. Just doing my bit here and passing on the recommendation to you.



1 comment:

  1. Glad you liked it, Bruce! It will definitely be up there with Dark Tea at the end of the year, I think.

    ReplyDelete