Friday, December 18, 2015

100 Power Pop Songs Countdown # 40-36


40. Foo Fighters


'When I talk about it, Aries or treasons all renew...'

From the very fine first Foo Fighters record. Grohl played every instrument in an effort to dig himself out of grief over Cobain's loss. 

39. ELO


                            'A sound that blows into my mind. The echoes of the daylight. 
                                                      Of everything that is alive...'

With the passing of years it becomes easier to forgive ELO's wardrobe and facial crimes and appreciate their undeniable gifts. Perhaps not as purely guitar driven as Power Pop strictures demand but hey, once again it's my chart, my rules.

                                                     38. Graham Parker & The Rumour

'They got the walk they got the talk right without a flaw...'

Heard this for the first time and posted it as a Song of the Day recently. But it fits here. So here it is again.

37. The Knack


'Ooh you make my motor run...'

As I've said, (partly to excuse myself), several times I've set my own rules on this. A lot of the so called staples of this genre aren't here, simply because I don't like the songs, but I understand there are some rules that need to be obeyed. The Knack should be, and probably with this song. It wasn't a huge hit for nothing. The band were something of a throwback however and more than a touch opportunistic. Therefore they drop a few places from where they might be. Nevertheless, it's a fine record.

36. Fountains of Wayne


'Though the interstate is choking under salt and dirty sand. And it seems the sun is hiding from the moon.'

Often mentioned as one of the main bearers of the torch for Power Pop in the nineties. As with The Knack, sometimes I find the band and their sentiments somewhat unappealing but this is wholly wonderful in every respect. The only song in this chart where the snow is falling.

No comments:

Post a Comment