Monday, December 21, 2015

100 Power Pop Songs Countdown # 25-21


25. The Toms


'I'm not the undertaker...'

First track from a remarkably diverse and entertaining debut album from 1979. Not really a band as such, but a solo project from Tom Marolda who played every instrument on here.

24.Todd Rundgren


'Keep your head on everything will be cool...'

One of the big daddies of these kind of things. So much going on in here.

23. The Rubinoos


'Late at night, when I can't sleep...'

If Rundgren is a big daddy, these boys are certainly older brothers. Label mates on Beserkely Records to The Modern Lovers. They plied a slightly more straightforward craft.

22. The Only Ones



'Then you're gonna make that first mistake of trying to walk before you can even run....' 

The Only Ones are unfortunate in having produced one song that's come to dwarf everything else in their recorded repertoire in terms of reputation. Another Girl, Another Planet, of course. But listen to this for example. At their best they had very few peers.

21. The Hoodoo Gurus


'I can still recall the time. She said she was always mine. Then she left...'

Now herein lies a tale. This is one of the records that takes me unerringly back to my first year at university, sitting in my room with a couple of my best friends from my corridor on a sunny day sometime in 1986 playing this while the two of them supplied the melody line. I guess this memory will stay with me for as long as I am here. Despite it's slight gormlessness, this remains a very fine pop song and the debut album it hails from, Stoneage Romeos, is equally fine. 



No comments:

Post a Comment