Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Best Ever Albums - Top 1,000 Albums # 7 The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

 


I still have plenty of time for The Beatles and go through immersions every 12 months or so to remind me of their incredible gifts to the world. I play Sgt. Pepper less often. Once generally accepted as 'the Best Album Ever Made' when lists were put together it feels more like a record documenting a particular historical moment now' Albeit the documentation of an incredible moment. But one that has gone now and will not be repeated.

I like a lot of the songs. But generally I tend to think ' Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields are not here.' An indication of precisely how strong an outfit The Beatles were, To be able to leave songs like those two off because they'd already released them as a single and didn't wish to repeat themselves. We won't see their like again 

Which leaves us with one truly outstanding song I'd say; A Day in the Life and lots of really great ones. I enjoyed my listen again this morning. Its technicolor swirl. But it goes back in the box again now and more than likely I won't play it again in 2025. I will play Rubber Soul, Revolver, The White Album and Abbey Road though. Sgt. Pepper now ranks below those in my personal preferences.




No comments:

Post a Comment