Tuesday, February 27, 2024

500 Greatest Albums of the 1980s ... Ranked! # 451 American Music Club - California

 


American Music Club are one of those bands you're generally led to by the music press. A classic critics band. Melody Maker fell for them hard in the late Eighties and early Nineties. I think I found them perhaps a mite earnest. Worthy. Still I'm enjoying listening to California. It's an indication of what happens when you get traumatised by the likes of Nick Drake John Martyn and Tim Hardin and sad poetry in your teenage years.




3 comments:

  1. I fell for this hard, too, at the time. Think it was from the Melody Maker's top 50 albums of the year list (discovered Thin White Rope at the same time). Blue and Grey Shirt, in particular, is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could easily have gone for AMC.You only have so much money for what the music press recommend. Eitzel a talented bloke. I probably went for Red House Painters or Buffalo Tom instead.

      Delete
    2. True! I used to love the MM end of year lists and would look out for random ones lower down the list to take a chance on. I was with you with Red House Painters and Buffalo Tom, too. Great stuff!

      Delete