Monday, February 19, 2024

500 Greatest Albums of the 1980s ... Ranked! # 459 Robyn Hitchcock - I Often Dream of Trains

 


I listened through to this earlier this morning. Hitchcock often vexes me. He's often just a little to cute and clever for his own good though I love a lot of his songs and Soft Boys most of all. Solo, I think he could do with an editor sometimes.

But I listened to  I Often Dream of Trains this morning and it resonated. From its deeply imposing opening piano chords with Nocturne which spoke of Central Europe. Then onwards. The whole record in fact. The important influence with Robyn of course is Syd Barrett. But there's nothing wrong with that. Syd laid down tracks that needed to be augmented and amplified.  I Often Dream of Trains does that and more. It's a fine record. Whimsical and attention seeking as is always the way with Hitchcock. But it all works here. 




No comments:

Post a Comment