Saturday, November 18, 2023

Song(s) of the Day # 3,564 Vince Clarke

 


This morning I listened to Vince Carke's unexpected, and newly released solo album, Songs of Silence. This is not something I really ever envisioned  myself doing. Hey I like Upstairs at Erics as much as the next man. I've tapped my toes to the occasional Depeche or Erasure tune. 

But really I chose guitars back in 1983. Roddy, Johnny and Peter over Vince, Nick and Annie. Much as I love much of this stuff, (certainly Kraftwerk, the well from which so much of it is drawn),  that's never completely changed. Seventeen is an important time.

Songs of Silence is instrumental and atmospheric. It's another Covid testament and as such there's a fair bit of unease, religious awe and dread. Ooh I bet you can't wait! There's a track called Lamentations of Jeremiah on here for goodness sake. Those looking for Just Can't Get Enough or Sometimes will need to look elsewhere. Listen to the originals is my suggestion. 

This works best as an imaginary soudntrack for a sci-fi film starring Michael Fassbinder or Ryan Gosling. I thought it overly portentious and grim. I found myself waiting for the redits to end and film to actually start. It never really did. This I think works best as a mood provider in a nice middle class living room, waiting for the guests to arrive for a Saturday evening dinner party. Eventually I began to crave the sound of guitars. Electric or acoustic. This Charming Man, Oblivious or Harborcoat. Meanwhile Songs of Silence droned on on my headphones. Eventually I took it off and started to make breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment