Monday, November 20, 2023

Song(s) of the Day # 3,566 Culk

 

Gloomy disembodied Austrian Goth, coming out of my headphones early on a cold Sunday morning in November. This immediately captured my attention. A forlorn female vocalist swaying traumatically, a band looking at their feet like zombified gravediggers and churning out Cure dirges from memory. 

Singing in German. Never the worst idea when wishing to come across as sombre refugees from a procession party Culk cast a spell early on Generation Maximum and maintain it for ten songs and just under forty minutes. Bauhaus, Banshees, Nico, Xmal Deutschland. I imagine you're aware of the script.

There's a wilful sadness throughout the record. It's a phase we go through during our teenage years. I did so myself, and unfortunately have the diaries and the Danse Society album to prove it. They summon up a maelstorm of angst and intensity that makes you fear they might never recover. 

Culk know what they're doing and the momentum of Generation Maximum doesn't drag. On the contrary it casts an effective. kohl eyed pallor. It's all rather impressive and realised even as it conforms to the laws set down in stone in the early Eighties.


5 comments:

  1. Not entirely my bag, but I quite enjoyed it! I meant to reply to this before, if only to point you to the wonderfully monikered Vyva Melinkolya. You know exactly what you are getting from the name and the album cover (gothic dreampop!).... although I haven't quite been in the mood to listen to it all the way through!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I quite liked this Darren. But as is the nature of this blog, every day is onwards. I haven't listened to this since I wrote it. It's very generic, even though its good at what it does. Now listening to Edwin R Stevens. That's pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saw the Vyva Melinkolya. It didn't grab me. This Edwin certainly more to my liking. Agreed Bill Callahan. Also David Berman. Thanks. That's great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I won't be going back to Culk either tbh, but it was ok while it lasted. I do like the Edwin R Stevens, though. He's from a band called Irma Vep, who I've heard of but never heard. From yesterday, enjoying the Wurld Series and Feeling Figures albums, so far.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent Darren. I like Wurld Series. Will listen to that.

    ReplyDelete