Thursday, November 10, 2016

Where I Was Last Night - Regina Spektor



'This is precisely the time when artists go to work. There is no time for despair, no place for self-pity, no need for silence, no room for fear. We speak, we write, we do language. That is how civilizations heal.' 

Toni Morrison

Regina Spektor at the Sage in Gateshead on the day that Donald Trump was elected. Her first words of the evening were 'Thanks for sharing this fucked up day with us,' or sentiments to that effect. She then proceeded to play a great show, break down in tears at some points then shake it off and go back to work. Putting it all into the songs which essentially she understands is her contribution to the cause.

I was high up on the Third Level, far too far away from the action to enjoy it as much as I'd have liked. But I'm very glad I was there. She held the stage on her own with a minimal backing band when she could have easily swamped things with strings for full effect. Essentially on her own with her piano. A true artist! A phenomenally brave one. She means as much to me musically as anyone in 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment