Friday, March 22, 2024

Steely Dan - Their Thirty Greatest Songs # 2 Peg

                                

                                                 'It's your favourite foreign movie.'

Fagen described this as 'major blues.'A downer song turned bright, great and radical... Then listen to those lyrics, 'I've seen your picture. Your name in lights above it / This is your big debut / It's like a dream come true.' It's a big day. But not you suspect for Peg herself.'

One thing I've learned from doing this rundown is how much there is in every single Steely Dan song it seems. They're masters of compressed artistic expression. Here they also have a fabulous tune. I think that's The Dan I'm most prone to. If asked to choose absolute favourites I'd probably plump for this and Rikki. This also reminds me of De La Soul who sampled it famously. I'm always happy to be reminded of De La Soul. 

No comments:

Post a Comment