Sunday, March 24, 2024

Song(s) of the Day # 3,686 R. E. Seraphin

 


I like a record where I don't form an instant impression or set of categories to slot something into immediately. File it away. ,So I had some fun with this yesterday an I'm pretty sure I'll play it again plenty. R. E. Seraphin Fool's Mate.

First of all the artist's name gets a thumbs up. I like initial use, it provides mystery, and the surname is interesting, if slightly improbable. Then the record. It doesn't immediately sound like Joy Division, Sleaford Mods, Pavement, Prince, Can, Stereolab, C86 bands. or any of the standard candidates. 

R. E. , if he sounds like anyone vocally sounds a bit like Kurt Ralske. Leader of Ultra Vivid Scene, pale Velvet Underground devotees, who made a few wan, melodic records for 4AD in the late Eighties..One of the weakest Pop vocalists you're ever likely to hear. I loved Ultra Vivid Scene, so I'm up for this. Straight away. 

Fool's Mate is a fascinating record. It's Power Pop I suppose. But it doesn't sound remotely like The Beatles or The Byrds. Or for that matter Big Star, Raspberries, Big Star or Cheap Trick. 

R. E. Seraphin comes across as a fascinating fellow judging by a listen to this. I get the impression he might be an interesting fellow to spend a few hours with at a dimly lit bar on the lower East Side one Sunday afternoon. Laughing slyly at subtle humour together. Downing cocktails with odd combinations of ingredients. Discussing the greatness of The Only Ones, The Shoes or dBs. 

So just my kind of record in short. One that doesn't conform to expectations and keeps you listening. This seems like a second album following 2020's Tiny Shapes. He's clearly one to keep an eye out for. I wish more artists would conduct themselves like this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment