Friday, March 29, 2024

Song(s) of the Day # 3,691 High Llamas

 


Another Friday. The Good one. Another set of bright new set of releases to herald the Easter weekend. I went with High Llamas Hey Panda to set off the morning.

Sean O'Hagen the head llama strikes me as an interesting fellow. With time spent in Microdisney and Stereolab, two of the most substantial bands of the late twentieth century. Also no end of notable records of his own under his belt.

 Hey Panda is another. It trades in a rather lovely inautheticity which is very Japanese while also appreciating the Pop craft of the likes of Brian Wilson, Paddy Macaloon, Van Dyke Parkes and Randy Newman.

These have been guys that featured among my taste withour ever being top of my go to lists. I appreciate the eye for detail but would appreciate a bit more heart on occasion, I have the greatest respect for the artistry but also wonder how often I'll be back for more after this initial spin. 

3 comments:

  1. They never quite grabbed me at the time, either, for similar reasons. Much like TFC!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're mot authentic in some ways. Deliberately so. I find it easier to respect than like them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, there was always something that kept me at arm's length, for some reason. Other friends loved them.

    ReplyDelete