Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Best Ever Albums - 2,000 - 1,001 -1,979 Japan - Tin Drum

 


Now we're talking. Why on earth is this only ranked as the 1,979th best record ever made ?!? It makes me cross with the mania of lists and comparisons that in many ways seem to have taken over Pop thinking. Yes, I know. I'm aware I'm posting them myself on a daily basis myself on here..I still find myself getting cross though. Given that I'd say it's far, far better than Dark Side Of the Moon which some thouands of misbegotten and mistaken souls have foisted to Number 2 in this self-same chart.

I'd much rather listen to this. Any day of the week. And then move on to Gentlemen Take Polaroids And not just because listening to it takes me back to when I was seventeen and reasonably presentable myself. I bought and played this landmark record half to death. What's so great and timeless about this? First of all the members of Japan were so cool. They made you want to dress and look like them and hang around with them at the edge of arty parties, (the first track here), chatting about Rilke and Dadaism.

As for the subject matter itself. A bunch of wallflowers and effete poseurs jet off to Chiang Kai Shek's China in the Forties intent on joining Mao's Long March and sitting around eating bowls of rice posing meaningfully while Reuters photographers snapped away for posterity . Careful lads, you'll smudge your make up and get your silk blouses dirty. Japan's conceit was ridiculous but also perfect. A wonderful record pure and simple. Art in action. 



No comments:

Post a Comment