Sunday, January 28, 2024

1984 Singles # 24 New Order

 


New Order are one of those bands that seemed more exciting in retrospect than they were to experience.. Their records weren't all actually hugely exciting at the time even if they were generally innovative. Take Thieves Like Us. Barney's vocals aren't strong, (in fact they're definitively thin and reedy). 

As for the lyrics, They almost come with an apology.  'I've lived my life in valleys. I've lived my life on hills. I've lived my life on alcohol. I've lived my life on pills.' You can't help feel Ian Curtis stir a little in his grave. 'Oi Barney. Have you been reading Baudelaire again?' Thieves Like Us is a cool moment with a very cool Peter Saville de Chirico sleeve but musically other bands stirred your heart a lot more. Quite a few actually. 1984 was a golden year for poetic, literate guitar bands, Quite a few still to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment