Saturday, January 20, 2024

The Holdovers OST - # 1 Damien Jurado

 Covers of Femme Fatale is done, restless soul that It Starts With a Birthshone is we move on hastily to fresh water space. Yesterday afternoon at a loose end, I made my way to The Tyneside Cinema to watch a movie. My sister Alison, and she's important to what happens on here as a constant cultural inspiration, guide and support.

Last Christmas Alison gave me the most thoughtful and timely gift. A year's membership to the Tyneside Cinema, cultural beacon to Newcastle and the surrounding area. 


Me. At five. In the family garden in Salisbury (now Harare). In Rhodesia, (now and then Zimbabwe).

As part of the card I get free entry to three films.  My first choice, The Holdovers, directed by the masterful Alexander Payne and starring Paul Giammati, guiding inspiration to us average Joe's and let's face it, we are almost all average Joe's under our brash exteriors. That stuff's for show for the most part. Beneath lies insecurity and endeavour.

 The Holdovers was beyond description wonderful in every way. Quite the best time I've spent nothing in exchange for something quite extraordinary in the longest, longest time. I left the cinema in a thrilled glow. It's a film that's truly about many, many things. About being young. About getting old. About the vital support we give each other in times of need. About how we respond to encouragement and support and exceed all expectation.

                                 The Reverend Green. In the kitchen. With the frying pan.

So I'm running through the soundtrack now and for the best part of the next month. It will keep the film alive in my head. I've just been listening to the soundtrack as I cooked my breakfast. It comes from the early Seventies, where so many of the best films ever made came out and so much of the best music too. Photographs of me when I was young and the breakfast I've just devoured, accompany this post. Go see the film I urge you.


No comments:

Post a Comment