Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Song(s) of the Day # 3,234 The Staffers

 

Darren Jones comes good again. Darren, consistent supporter and advisor on content on this blog has similar taste to mine and tracks down loads of stuff I would otherwise be unaware of. I'm very grateful for his input. His latest tip is this one.

It's Asleep at the Wheel, the latest from Ryan McKeever's solo project The Staffers. Classic indie stylings of the sort immediately familiar to the likes of Pavement or Neutral Milk Hotel. This has become a musical sub genre all of its own over the last thirty years. McKeever is fluently versed in its charms. Every song here is a mini-classic of its form.

A decisive factor of whether you go for this or not is McKeever's voice. It tends to be rather willfully flat. I confess I wasn't hugely enamored. Bur otherwise I was enormously taken by Asleep at the Wheel in every respect. Many thanks to Darren. Please keep them coming.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Bruce, glad you liked it! I like the plaintive, off-key drawl of his voice, but I know what you mean... I've put together a playlist of countryish songs from 2022, too, if you are interested https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1shMcBq32p1Xf4WZqCj9eT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't really care for his voice. I thought t was a bit mannered. I was fairly sure he could have sang a little bit more in tune had he wanted to. It's difficult to tell with these things sometimes. But I loved everything else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As for your playlist. Very interested. Will give that a listen.

    ReplyDelete