Sunday, December 25, 2022

Gigs of the Year

 


  1. Katie J. Pearson & Naima Bock - The Cluny, Newcastle
  2. Michael Head - The Cluny, Newcastle
  3. TEKE TEKE - Headful of Steam
I didn't go to many gigs this year. These three in fact. But they were all good 'uns. I guess I'm still not fully back in the swing of things post-Lockdown, plus the fact that I just  didn't see that much that appealed to me to me in 2022. I'll go to more next year. 

TEKE TEKE were a delight in a small venue just round the corner from where I live in the company of the cream of Newcastle's ahead of the curve hipsters. Weird Japanese / Canadian OST to a Manga movie that you haven't seen and was probably never made. True heirs to The B52's, something that's always welcome.



Michael Head was a slightly different story. An artist I've loved and respected for many, many years finally seen for the first time. It wasn't the most spectacular of gigs, just as I didn't think Dear Scott, the album he was so feted for by so many, was quite the spectacular triumph it was hyped up to be. It was solid rather, as was the show, but he's certainly an artist worth celebrating.

My favourite gig of the year tough was something else. Two of my biggest discoveries and makers of two of my favourite albums of the years. Naima Bock who I conducted a great conversations with both during and after her set. A great talent who has already realised her talent with the fabulous Giant Palm.

Then Katie J. Pearson who draws me further under her spell every time I play Sound of the Morning in flow in the company of a full band. Weird Indie Folk, brilliantly assembled and altogether magical on the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment