Monday, March 18, 2024

Song(s) of the Day # 3,681 Alison Cotton

 

You don't always wake every morning hungry to embrace Pop Tunes, Sometimes you're in the mood for something slightly more sombre to greet the sun as it it rises in the heavens outside your windows.

If that's your wish, I'd direct you towards Alison Cotton's latest album Englechen. It's one SOMBRE record, let's put it that way. Portentious is another adjective which comes to mind. One to take you back to the late Thirties perhaps. If that's where you wish to go. Forty minutes to reflect. Before war and calamity break out. On all sides. Perfect for times when all the world is talking about more wars breaking out and plenty are well underway.

Essentially a chamber piece with bonus Greek Chorus. The kind of record embraced by the likes of The Quietus, Stewart Lee and misery guts of your acquaintance.

 I quite enjoyed it myself. But then I'm prone to wrinkling my brow, stroking my chin and thinking profound thoughts myself of a morning. This makes excellent company for this kind of behaviour. Embrace your inner intellectual. 

No comments:

Post a Comment