Friday, March 22, 2024

Best Ever Albums - 2,000 - 1,001 -1,983 Badly Drawn Boy - The Hour of Bewilderbeast

 


Still a fascinating and largely one off record from the cusp of the twenty first century. Simon & Garfunkel meets John Cooper Clarke for a Pub Lunch and good chinwag In Blackburn. Folk Soul.

It is about an hour. Just over an hour. I listened to it in its entirity this morning. It's worth the investment. It starts with what seems like a section of a brass band playing in your living room and doesn't feel like an indulgence at all. It moves on from there to all kinds of places. Light and shade.

Damien Gough allows a lot of space into his songs. I think I thought this was a bit of a curiosity at the time. Not anymore. I think it's rather magnificent. A minor mastpiece I'd say, if labels like this mean anything. Alternatively the 1,983th best album ever made. 



No comments:

Post a Comment