Friday, March 22, 2024

Mojo Collection - The Ultimate Music Companion # 562 The Verve - Urban Hymns

 


I think this is too long. It's seventy five minutes when I think it should be fifty. It's made for the CD format rather than as vinyl I think and suffers as a result. It could have been more concise and punchy. I listened to it quite a bit when it came out during an unhappy year of my life. I was doing a PGCE that led nowhere. I was unhappy in myself and associate the way I felt with the music that was popular at the time. Urban Hymns, OK Computer and Mezzanine particularly. There was a general cultural malaise and I was going through that myself.

I mean come on. Urban Hymns ?!? There are some truly great songs here but there's a sense of monumental self -importance about everything that Richar Ashcroft does which gets tiresome. Hey look at me everyine. I'm a poet. A deep thinker.  I personally find the whole agenda difficult to take seriously despite some of the incredible poetic peaks achieved here. Sonnet always really stands out in my memory.



No comments:

Post a Comment