Saturday, March 16, 2024

500 Greatest Albums of the 1980s ... Ranked! # 432 Van Halen - Women & Children First

 

I have my blindspots. Irrational prejudices and sticking points. Heavy Metal for starters. What is commonly called Heavy Metal.I like Led Zep, Deep Purple and Black Sabbath as well as the next man. Would anyone really wish to make a case that any of these are Heavy Metal, Thin Lizzy certainly.Quo occasionally. All have their moments and memories. 

Not so for me, Dio, AC/DC. Tygers of Pantang, Iron Maiden, Saxon, Def Leppard. Sorry but no thanks. And you can add Van Halen for that matter. Or certainly not what I've heard or seen of those guys. They just look the kind of jocks who would have made the walk down those locker lined corridors you always see in High School movies seem like a true rites of passage exercise each and every time. Running the gauntlet. And what for. So a bunch of weak and cowardly people can bond? Sorry Van Halen fans.

I always found those scenes in those films where the sensitive guys got picked on quite chilling frankly. For the likes of me who always felt they might run the risk of being bullied and possibly pummelled if they caught the wrong guys eye at the wrong moment. I'm not prepared to let it go quite yet. I'm not willing to forgive and forget the O'Bannions. I've met them in the workplace since.

Perhaps I'm holding a grudge too stubbornly but I grew up during an era where you chose your sides instinctively at fifteen. Plus I listened to this record yesterday. Or as much as I could stomach. Never liked the look of David Lee Roth and still don't really. And never liked the sound of Eddie Van's guitar. No matter how highly he's rated. 



No comments:

Post a Comment