Thursday, March 21, 2024

Mojo Collection - The Ultimate Music Companion # 561 Madonna - Ray of Light

 

          'I'm trying to affect people in a quieter way.'

Possibly the last Madonna album I really engaged with. Or I think I tried to at the time. I think I bought the CD. As I don't listen to my CDs anymore its a murky area of my past. But before I started re-listening this morning I could only remember the tite track, the single and its promo video.

Ray of Light sounds very much a product of its time in 2024. It's full of Pre-Millenial preoccupations and studio values. A certain tension and longing for escape. It reminds me somehow of The Beach. The film. But also the novel it was drawn from. People really imagining they're going to find lasting peace from lying on a beach in 'paradise.'.

 Madonna brought in William Orbit to help out here, to give the record some peace and space. As its very much the prouct of the CD age I didn't feel too bad about not making it all the way through and going off for a morning swim. The single still sounds like genuine epiphany though.



No comments:

Post a Comment