Thursday, September 28, 2023

Song(s) of the Day # 3,512 Eartheater

'            


        'I don't wanna be like everyone else. That's why I'm a Mod see...' Jimmy, Quadrophenia

There's a certain uniformity of expression in terms of much music coming out on 2023. Certain strands are emerging and replicating themselves to a slightly diquietening degree. There are angry Post Punk bands. There are waif like young female singer songwriters. There is the Trans / AI discourse. The future happening now.

I find a lot of the records in each of these strands really exciting. But I find the replication of theme and sound slightly disturbing, and dare I say it, dull. Couldn't people say different things occasionally? 

A record that I've been listening to in the third of thes strands,  Powders by Eartheater is a case in point. It's a weird androgynous otherworldly record. Not unlike the soundtrack of a new Avatar movie.

Eartheater is a Queens based artist and the music is different to categorise even if the sentiments espoused on latest album Powder are very recognisable and even commonplace' 'Mutated dance music, unadorned folk balladry, trip hop and torch song pop songcraft' are descriptions from an otherwise somewhat fanciful and convoluted Spotify bio which might help.

It's an interesting record anyhow with an artist pictured coming across as an android Ursula Andress ascending from the waves in Doctor No. One to watch.

3 comments:

  1. I liked that! Rather partial to some experimental pop when it crosses my path. Thanks Bruce!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good. Some of it a bit bland I thought, some of it really impressive.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, hit the spot when I was washing up last night!

    ReplyDelete