Sunday, September 17, 2023

Albums of the Year # 102 Yaeji - With a Hammer

 



Diabetics be warned. This is sweet. But take your tablets and brace yourselves. It might be worth persevering.

NYC via Seoul producer Kaeji's latest album With a Hammer features the lady herself on the sleeve wielding an extremely dangerous looking example of these which indicates she means business.

The music therein is difficult to categorise. Music should not always need to be categorised but I'm attempting to describe it so I'll give it a go.

You probably could dance to it if you were particularly loose-limbed. It's got elements of electronica, of R&B and Indie, layered with slightly icky treated Korean and English found lyrics.

I can't help but feel this may be rather inspired. It's like no other record I've heard this week and I've heard a lot of really great records already this week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment