Saturday, September 30, 2023

NOT SONG(S) OF THE DAY !!! Modern Nature - No Fixed Point In Space

 


Up early this morning. It's my birthday. Though that's not the reason I'm up. I just had a slightly restless night, I thought I'd give this a listen. The new album from Modern Nature called No Fixed Point In Space.

Modern Nature is a rather portentious or else bland name for a band, and No Fixed Point In Space certainly a portentious name for a band. Frankly it reeks pretension is you have a supicion radar for this kind of thing. 

The band are built around Jack Cooper who has an interesting CV, hving worked in The Beep Seals, Mazed and Ultimate Painting. On Modern Nature's website, no mention is made of these projects indicating they wish to be considered on the basis of their own achievements.

According to this site, 'they blur the lines between folk music, composition an improvisation.' Well, err OK. Listening to the record this morning I was waiting for each track to get started and none of them ever did.It felt as if you were listening to the bands that Nick Drake and Tim Buckley worked with warming up for a very log time before not bursting into song as you expecte them to but falling into deep sleep instead.

I've cared for a lot of Cooper's work previously but I didn't really care for this much. Occasionally they'd establish some kind of momentum but generally I found it an exercise in chin stroking. I'm afraid I won't be back.



No comments:

Post a Comment