Friday, September 27, 2024

It Starts With a Birthstone - 200 Albums for 2024 # 89 True Green - My Lost Decade

 

Rising late on Saturay morning, it's nice to chance upon an unusual looking and sounding record to soundtrack my drawn out leisurely breakfast. It's why I do this and I'm glad and grateful that it continues to reap unexpected catches for me. Like a net bulging with glittering school of silver fish.

Today's prize a record with a classic DIY cover of front door keys and unappealing insect life. Minneapolis songwriter Dan Hornsby is at the heart of the True Green experience. My Lost Decade is their first album.

It's a slightly queasily recorded record focusing on lived experience. Reflecting on things that have happened as we look back on them. Hornsby has a style that serves reminders of Stephen Malkmus. My Peccadiloes conciously takes the rhyming slang of Squeeze's Up The Junction as its template. I've listende to it five times already this morning The result is one of the best songs I've heard this year. It's so good I think I'll listen to it again now.

Elsehwhere True Green take a generally wistful approach to things and consierable beauty is unmasked. This is a pretty wonderful record. Time for my morning bath.  

No comments:

Post a Comment