Friday, April 1, 2022

Song(s) of the Day # 2,987 Black Doldrums

 


I'm as nostalgic as the next man. Probably more than most. I like a reminder of when I was sixteen and began to discover dark music for the first time. Doors, Bunnymen, Joy Division Velvets. Every generation need to experience that moment.


Many sixteen year olds may be experience that invitation to the enticements of the dark with North London band Black Doldrums. They know enough about how to summon up this luring thrill and also sufficient melodic appeal to offer genuine commercial potential on debut album Dead Awake.


Calling themselves Black Doldrums and their record Dead Awake is a pretty good start. Listening to plenty of Joy Division and New Order before getting to work is also not the worst idea. 




Altogether though this is just too derivative of far superior musical moments of my youth for me to bite. Hey I'm 56. The singer also sounds far too much like Ian Curtis and if he's been taking notes. It was never the best idea. Curtis was a complete one off. I didn't like it when Interpol or Editors did it. It sounds equally lame in Black Doldrums case. It's astonishing here. Almost like Karaoke but with songs that the band themselves have written. Otherwise this is a pretty good record.

No comments:

Post a Comment