Thursday, March 12, 2020

Song(s) of the Day # 2,241 Pop Crimes

Thanks to the ever reliable Did Not Chart blog listed on the right hand side of this page for pointing me in the direction of this absolute pearl of a record.


Pop Crimes are something of a French Indie supergroup if that isn't a contradiction in terms.They have members who have also played in En Attendant Anna, Blondi's Salvation,d'Amazone and Young Like Old Men, I'm sure all big favourites of yours. They seem to take their name from a Rowland S. Howard album. Who knows why? That doesn't really clue you in to exactly what's going down with them.


They've just released their first EP, called erm Debuts. There's so much happening here that it's difficult to know where to start. On first two tracks Always Lover and Seasons & Storms they capture something of the reckless desperation of CBGB's filtered through an Eighties and Nineties lens.


On Goes, they go, somewhere else. Into Shoegaze though not looking down at their shoes but straight in your eyes. Closer The Sun is a reminder, if one is needed, that it was The Velvet Underground where so much of this wonderful stuff all started out from. 



This is an incredible knowing set of songs. It reminded me of so many things that I love but it has a heart and sense of abandon that are all its own. I love it and can't for the life of me stop playing it. I'll be surprised if I hear a better four track EP this year.




No comments:

Post a Comment