Saturday, March 14, 2020

Peter Buck - Bitches Brew

Peter Buck being modest in his thoughts on Miles Davis in a recent copy of Mojo. But then again, listen to the record. It is pretty good.


'I first heard it when I was 13, in a record store in Glendale, California, that had guitars. They'd play the usual stuff - Beatles, Stones, - and one day they played this. I think it was the first thing I'd heard outside of like, AM radio, and I didn't understand it all. I didn't even know if it was music. It turned me onto the fact that there's a world out there outside of four guys with guitars. I finally bought it when I was 16,17, and I've played it probably once a week my whole life.

I love the non-linearity of it. These guys are pretty clearly making it up as they go, and the musicianship and inspiration is at such a high level that it makes sense . I can't think of any record that has that complete spontaneity and yet absolutely spot-on togetherness. I've done some improv stuff with Robert Fripp, and within an hour I'm ready to die, sweating through my clothes, it's so intense. It seemed they lived at that level. I've done things influenced by Bitches Brew and Krautrock, and things that deny the essence of songwriting and just go for pure performance, but I'm not anywhere the musician that any of those guys are. It's sui generis.

The only time I ever met Miles, me and Mick Mills were in the airport In New York City, it was probably '87. We were going through security and the metal detectors, and Miles was ahead of us, wearing one of those Michael Jackson outfits he wore in the 80s, every inch of it was metal.. He was like, 'Goddam Motherfucker, got to take my motherfucking shoes off.' I said Mr. Davis I really love your work. He just looked at me and nodded and went back to cursing. It was really horrible weather but we thought a plane with Miles Davis on is not gonna go down. If it had, we'd certainly have been a footnote.'

No comments:

Post a Comment