Saturday, March 21, 2020

Kenny Rogers & the First Edition

For Kenny. Memories of York. A short holiday with my parents and a great record shop. From September 2015.

Song of the Day # 604 Kenny Rogers & The First Edition


'It wasn't me that started that old crazy Asian war. But I was proud to go and do my patriotic chore...'

Strange how this blog has become a diary of sorts. The thing that I said in my first ever post it wouldn't be. Still, perfectly happy with that. Just back from a weekend spent in York with my dearly beloved parents. I chanced upon an absolute treasure trove of a record shop, The Inkwell, of which I'll write more. Bought the parent record for this song for a fiver. Much prefer this to the more famous version. It's got that great, gentle, rolling guitar sound of the best late sixties Glen Campbell records and the lyric, about a Vietnam vet who comes back from the war crippled and suspects his want away missus of playing around, is tragic though slightly ironic poetry. The rest of the record is just great too. Laid-back, slightly psychedelisised Country. Another memory.



No comments:

Post a Comment