Friday, March 8, 2024

Song(s) of the Day # 3,671 Torrey

 

Certain scenes and places come up again and again here. It's natural for interesting bands and artists to flock together and inspire and feed off each other's energies I suppose. Melbourne most obviously comes to mind at the moment. Brooklyn. Portland, Austin, San Francisco, Rotterdam. Have I missed anything?

Oakland, Calfornia. That's another one. Bands have been poping up on my radar for a good eighteen months or so that have picqued my interest and they've turned out to be from Oakland when I've looked into it. I get the feeling it must be a good place to be. Hop in your car an head downtown to check out a local band on a Friday night. 

Torrey are the latest band to come to my notice. They're on Slumberland Records and they've got a new record out.  An eponymous one. It's very, very generic. Highly generic and melodic. I prefer records amd artists who embody an exhibit greater individualism and flair generally.


But I can't bring myself to criticise unduly here. It's a Friday morning and I'm enjoying being down with my parents in Canterbury for a few days. Trees are budding in the street where they live. It's almost Spring.

2 comments:

  1. I rather like this! Been following them since the first album, but it wasn't top of my list to listen to on Friday (probably for the reasons you mentioned)... went for C Turtle, Astrel K and Tomato Flower first. Going to catch up with your weekend posts now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your tips. No end of great new records that i don't have enough time to process. I've moved onto Astrel K now and can definitely go for that.

      Delete