Thursday, March 7, 2024

Mojo Collection - The Ultimate Music Companion # 549 Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - The Boatman's Call

 


Nick reminds me of an old West End Lovey in many ways, He draws the crowds in, His name goes before him. Sir Nick is in Town.

 No longer a marginal artistic figure anymore, he's a household name these days.  He confers with former Archbishops of Canterbury about the nature of God. Makes the cover of Sunday newspaper review.supplements. 

Fair game to him.He's certainly put the work in to deserve his moment of popular acclaim. To come centre stage for his most theatrical bow.

I confess, I've always found his schtick distinctly hammy. He plays to the box seats which is a definite skill and should be respected, 

He's also dealt with awful personal tragedy of the most appalling sort with immense dignity and I'm sure it's been enormously helpful to many. This should always be respected and acknowledged,

As for listening to the records themselves for the most part, it's harder work. They seem like things you're expected to listen to with chin in hand and brow furrowed. 

I just find his work easier to respect than to love or invest in most of the time. I find him quite knowing often and his albums rather stodgy and difficult to get through.   

Cave's primary guiding principle is to produce ART and he doesn't bother to disguise this intention. This is art, it has more than enough going on to merit that title but usually I prefer to search for mine elsewhere. Generally I look to Lou or Len.





No comments:

Post a Comment